SCROLL DOWN FOR POSTS AND ARCHIVES

Beginning again... I'm adding favorite columns, articles, essays and stories. My book of essays was published in 2016. I will attempt to bring the series up to date. Current date is January 2023 and there is much to add. MY WRITING LIFE. SIMPLY SCROLL DOWN...

Thursday, January 26, 2023

Be the Change or "I'm Speaking!"

 Be the Change… Love What is…

 

“Peace begins within. …The glory of the human spirit lies in our ability to choose, to let go of despair, to turn our energies to creative uses. Peace begins with resolution of our inner wars.” Promise of a New Day, Karen Casey & Martha Vanceburg, passage from December 13.

 

How I have struggled between speaking out and remaining still! My world today seems a veritable Tower of Babel with everyone talking and no one listening, caring, contemplating or taking heart. I want to scream “words matter, reason matters, facts and data matter”! I cannot make sense of the images of cruelty or the excuses for allowing and perpetuating suffering that could be alleviated. I feel battered by the voices that defy reason; the blatant lies accepted as truth merely because they’ve been repeated over and over again. Many times, I have experienced gaslighting and crazy-making, illogical diatribes through which it seems my voice can never be heard.

 

My first attempt at a column, was titled “I’m Speaking!”  I was inspired by Vice President Elect Kamala Harris and her calm, dynamic, knowledgeable, persevering and compassionate words applauded by and taken up as a mantra by women everywhere. I wrote and I thought. I thought and I wrote some more. I spoke of the history and tirelessness of women showing up and speaking up and the forces that serve to silence them/us. I fought with my personal sense of being seen as a challenge to community, friends and family… being seen as one who brings trouble we don’t need down on our heads when I call attention to the ongoing ills of our world and attempt to identify where I am complicit and ask that they do the same.

 

The more I contemplated speaking my convictions and/or my complicity in remaining silent, the more the chaos and cacophony of careless and thoughtless speech crowded my mind.

 

In recent times my troubled mind, my fears for my loved ones and the future, my grief at the massive loss of life, my fear of becoming sick myself or of losing my true life’s love have left me awake in the night. Last night I found rest in a Yoga Nidra practice led by Jennifer Piercy. Her close and soothing voice urged… “Set your deep resolve for this practice.  Ask yourself: in your life right now, what is your deepest, most heartfelt desire? … Now, see and feel your life with the fulfillment of this desire. What would your life look, sound, smell and taste like if this deepest desire were a reality? State your desire like a mantra. Then give thanks and let it go… “ Over the years I ‘ve engaged in this and other meditative practices I have settled on a mantra of “love what is” along with, what sometimes seems the conflicting notion “be the change.”

 

I slept soundly and awakened to my morning ritual of listing those things I feel good about today, in the moment of the writing.  I reached for my daily passage in The Promise of a New Day. I found resolution for my conflict between speaking out and silent acceptance. I returned to the heartfelt desire I embraced in my sleeplessness. My desire, my choice, my pursuit, is to be the change I wish to see in the world. Speak out but listen too. And simultaneous with my being and acting and speaking for change -- with all my heart, I will love what is for that is where freedom is found. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want your comments, your experiences and links and resources that add value to this site. Mimi