SCROLL DOWN FOR POSTS AND ARCHIVES

Beginning again... I'm adding favorite columns, articles, essays and stories. My book of essays was published in 2016. I will attempt to bring the series up to date. Current date is January 2023 and there is much to add. MY WRITING LIFE. SIMPLY SCROLL DOWN...

Saturday, July 5, 2014

TOO MUCH TO THINK.... July 2014 Community Reporter Column

Deb’s July 2014 Column

“Too Much to “Think” Last Night…”

Remember the song “ I Had Too Much to Dream Last Night” from 1967?  It occurred to me this morning as I contemplated writing this month’s column.  From the moment I sent the June column for publication I’ve been hit with thoughts, issues, ideas that may or may not be connected one to the other but that seem to want my attention and perhaps yours.  Just off the top of my head I am troubled by thoughts regarding vulnerable people on our streets, poverty, homelessness, substance abuse, domestic violence, sex trafficking, gun violence & gun availability and concerns about the healing of our planet.

A couple of weeks ago our neighbor, Wendy Underwood, invited me to attend a breakfast hosted by Ramsey County District Attorney, John Choi. Considering myself an arts activist as well as a community activist regarding issues of poverty and homelessness I was eager to attend and hear what Mr. Choi had to say.

I listened as Mr. Choi talked about the need for safe haven for young people leaving trying home situations and being taken advantage of by those bartering in the sex trade. He talked about the plague of domestic violence.  I thought about the young people who are homeless on our streets.  The vulnerable people who have nowhere to go; the people that our social service agencies and nonprofit organizations attempt to serve in all of their diversity and in all of their debilitation. Recently, on the Facebook page “West 7th Where All the Cool Kids Hang Out” there was a photograph of a homeless woman urinating in the doorway of a West 7th Street business. That post elicited about 75 comments from community members expressing outrage with the behavior of the woman herself as well as disgust and disappointment with the business owners for not keeping their business clean and free of the possibility of this behavior. Many who commented expressed compassion and concern.  Some expressed a sense of helplessness. Condemnation was heaped upon the head of the woman, an apparent addict.  There was an outcry for common decency.

My Virgo horoscope this morning seems timely as I try to process all that fills my brain. It tells me this.  “It is natural and yet unwise to think that others see the world as you do.  Your thought process is as unique as theirs.  It is only by assuming that you don’t know that you can come to know.”  Hmmm.  I’ll apply this now to the disparity of opinions expressed regarding the complex question of poverty, homelessness and community service.  Today I’ve dug deep through the quagmire of my thoughts and understanding and arrived at the conclusion there is much we can do.  There is much “I” can do.  Saying this, I am accepting the truism “there is only so much one can do” but thinking in terms of the outward expansion and exponential impact of each person doing only that which they “can.”  I see a common thread in issues of domestic violence, poverty, homelessness, addiction and even sex-trafficking.  I see people in need. I see vulnerable people unable (for whatever reason or by whatever definition) helpless to help themselves rise to a level of existence and contribution we wish to see in our neighbors.  Rather than seeing the problem as overwhelming I’m choosing to recognize something rather basic.  “The poor will always be among us.”  The poor will always need a bathroom, a meal and shelter from the storm.  These are basics in our society.  As a community can we consider providing each individual in need, regardless of our opinions or judgments of their worthiness, public restrooms, access to food and access to shelter?  As for the question of who will clean and maintain public restrooms this is a job creation opportunity…. Perhaps it’s a job for an unemployed homeless individual.  One of the thoughts crowding my mind last night was about the sorry state of our environment and the current curse of Global Warming.  It’s another “there is only so much one can do…” situation.  I try to keep my carbon footprint small.  Living in prosperity as I do my conscience is regularly tried by the choices I make simply because I “can”.  Today I realized the poor and homeless who live on the streets require so little from this world and are taking up very little space and few resources.  Perhaps, rather than railing against the blight they are on our pristine community, we can be grateful for the small mark they leave on our planet.

I calm my anxiety in regard to all things beyond my control by choosing those few things I can do.  I name them.  I seek to do what I can.

What You Can Do/What I Can Do

1.      Link to HEADING HOME RAMSEY for information about services for the poor and homeless.  Here you will find phone numbers, a continuum of care covering a range of services for those in need and access to a calendar of events and meetings open to the public that will provide guidance on what is being done and what you might do to contribute to the healing in our community.  http://headinghomeramsey.net
2.     Print out the brochure available at this site and create small packages in business size envelopes to give to panhandlers or others in obvious need on the street.  This envelope can detail access to restrooms, businesses/organizations/individuals offering free food.  It can contain a gift certificate to a local coffee shop, sandwich shop or restaurant.  A phone number for United Way’s First Call For Help and $2., $5. or $20. cash would be a nice addition to these envelopes.
3.     Resist judging.  Seek ways to be the calm in the storm.  Your calming ways bring peace in ever expanding circles around you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I want your comments, your experiences and links and resources that add value to this site. Mimi